20 Facts you didn't know about Autism!

Updated: Oct 19, 2019



To a few, autism can sound alarming or overwhelming. There are numerous myths and misguided judgments about this formative disability. I'm here to disclose to you that knowledge and information is control. The more you think about autism, the less scary and unnerving it will appear. Truth be told, I know you will understand that neuro-typical people aren't generally that different to those on a spectrum!

1. 1 in every 68 children are affected by autism.


2. Did you know that boys are almost five times more likely than girls to have autism?


3. Those who are diagnosed with Autism may have different abilities, gifts or challenged not all that are diagnosed with Autism are the same.


4. Children with autism are highly gifted in at least one specific area.


5. On average autism can cost a family £30,000-£40,000 per year.


6. Autistic children progress- intervention is key.


7. Comorbid conditions often associated with autism include Fragile X, allergies, asthma, epilepsy, bowel disease, gastrointestinal/digestive disorders, persistent viral infections, PANDAS, feeding disorders, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, ADHD, Tourette Syndrome, OCD, sensory integration dysfunction, sleeping disorders, immune disorders, autoimmune disorders, and neuro inflammation.


8. No one is actually sure what causes autism.


9. Through twin examinations, researchers have discovered that autism is a hereditarily based condition. For instance, in the event that one indistinguishable twin has autism at that point there is an 80-90% possibility that the other twin will likewise be determined to have an autism range issue. The possibility that brotherly twins will both be influenced by ASD on the off chance that one twin is beset is roughly 3-10%.


10.Did you know that you can detect possible signs of autism in infants from 6-


18 months old?


11.More seasoned infants and babies may neglect to react to their names, maintain a strategic distance from eye to eye contact, need joint consideration/ attention, or participate in repetitive developments, for example, rocking, or arm fluttering. They may play with toys in strange ways.


12. Treatments that have proven to be effective are applied behavioural analysis (ABA) and occupational, speech and physical therapy, which have proven to be the most effective.


13. Autism cannot be cured. 


14. Those with Autism will need support and helpful services throughout their lifetime.


15. Fixations or obsessions can be exceptional yet can educate the entire family in things they didn't know. Truth be told, they can be utilized to educate the child things they may not be as interested in.


16. Change isn't simple for any child yet is particularly difficult for those on the range. They cherish their schedules. Thinking about occasions that are coming up can make it simpler to manage. Utilizing a schedule can be useful.


17. Having said that, they do require practice with being adaptable too. They require help to discover instruments they can use to manage circumstances where things are new and surprising. Giving them some training in a sheltered situation can be extremely useful to them. This can be as basic as attempting another sustenance for supper (while having sides that are top picks) or taking another course to class.


18. They regularly require a "cool down" space where they can be separated from everyone else and calm.


19. Social cues should be unequivocally educated. You should invest a great deal

of energy when children are young, instructing how to peruse people groups faces, demeanours, and non-verbal communication. You can role play.


20. Their memory is amazing!

Autism Helpline provides confidential expert advice and support on autism for autistic people, their families and friends.

Telephone: 0808 800 4104

Helpline opening hours: Monday-Thursday 10am-4pm, Friday 9am-3pm (excluding Bank holidays)

#austismawareness #april2018

10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

5th Floor Hyde Park Hayes 3,

11 Millington Rd,

London UB3 4AZ

t: 0208 982 3559

m: 07931 717 701 

e: info@head-of-the-class.co.uk

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black LinkedIn Icon
  • Black Google+ Icon
  • Black YouTube Icon
  • Black RSS Icon
  • yell white logo

Head of the Class Tuition Centre, HC Tuition Centre, HC Agency & HC are all represented under the legal registered company Head of the Class Ltd.

© 2017-2020 Head of the Class Ltd 10881013.  All Rights Reserved. ICO Membership ZA268349.